Talk about a mouthful of a name —let’s just call it the Netgear Nighthawk X6. Whatever name it goes by this is the Wi-Fi router you want if you’re a gamer, you stream HD video content (and can’t wait for more 4K content to be available), you live in a large home where Wi-Fi coverage sometimes isn’t all it could be, or you are competing with dozens of other smartphones, tablets, PCs and game consoles for Wi-Fi bandwidth. Three simultaneous Wi-Fi bands, six antennas, a dual-core 1GHz CPU and up to 3.2Gbps. Want the most powerful, lag-free Wi-Fi network in your neighbourhood? You can find the Netgear Nighthawk X6 — AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Gigabit Router now, at Best Buy.
Netgear Nighthawk X6 Key Specifications
Here’s the stuff you care about when it comes to speed, performance and Wi-Fi range:
Note: If you’re still scratching your head about the fuss everyone’s making about 802.11ac (Gigabit) Wi-Fi, we’ve put together a primer that helps to explain the benefits.
In addition to those spotlight specs, the Nighthawk X6 offers many other features that contribute to making this not just a powerhouse, but a well-rounded hub for any home or small business network. Among them:
- Readyshare USB access with two USB ports (one USB 2.0, one USB 3.0) for wireless sharing of USB hard drives or printers
- DLNA and iTunes compatible digital media storage
- Readyshare Vault software for automatic, wireless PC data backup
- Four Gigabit ethernet ports
- Beamforming + automatic signal management to ensure multiple devices receive the strongest Wi-Fi connection possible, even while moving through a building
- WPA/WPA2 and WPS security
- Parental controls and guest access
- Support for open source firmware
- Netgear Genie home network configuration software can be accessed via a PC, Mac or from a smartphone or tablet (using the iOS and Android apps)
You can get the full scoop on the technical capabilities of this Wi-Fi powerhouse on the Netgear Nighthawk X6 product page.
There’s No Such Thing as Wi-Fi That’s Too Good
There’s a saying with PCs that you can ever have too much storage. No matter how big you think a hard drive is, it will fill up with software, digital photos, movies and music.
The same thing holds through with Wi-Fi. You simply cannot have a Wi-Fi network that’s too fast or too powerful. Chances are, investing in a powerful wireless router like the Netgear Nighthawk X6 will make a big difference in your current Wi-Fi network. Faster web surfing, no stuttering or caching streaming video, lag-free video games, Wi-Fi access even in the back yard and those Wi-Fi dead zones that plague many homes go away.
Even if you don’t need all of its features today, the Netgear Nighthawk X6 has the bandwidth capacity and advanced capabilities that mean you won’t find yourself wishing for an upgrade a year or two down the road.
Future-proofing is never a bad idea. Wi-Fi demands can explode in a house when devices like smartphones, video streamers and game consoles come into the picture. Fortunately, Best Buy carries dozens of leading Wi-Fi routers so even if a Nighthawk X6 isn’t in the cards, there are always plenty of options to choose from.