Maybe you’ve seen people commuting in the bike lane on them, or you’ve watched someone effortlessly cruise up a crazy hill and you wondered exactly what they were riding – for most people, one chance encounter of watching someone cruise on an e-bike is enough to get them to put it on their ‘to-do’ list, and one ride is all it takes to hook you forever.
What is an electric bicycle? In short, an e-bike is a bicycle with a motor built-in. Some e-bike models have a smaller motor to assist with pedaling while others give you a full scooter or moped experience. With rechargeable lithium batteries, light frames, and the ability to cruise up to 32 km/hr, the e-bike is gaining popularity all around the world as a popular way to commute or just a great way to relax and enjoy the great outdoors. And the best part? You don’t need a special license to drive one and you don’t have to insure an e-bike.
Winter is over, spring is kicking in, and the roads are clearing up enough to gear up and get out there making now the time to pick up an e-bike. I think you’d be surprised at how having one can change the way you live, save you money, improve your health, and accelerate your fun level.
Here are 5 reasons why you’ll want an e-bike this year:
- An e-bike will save you money on gas – Gas prices are always rising, and for those of us who can remember what it was like to buy gas at less than $1.00 per liter, the shock at the pump is something you never get used to. Having an electronic bicycle will save you gas because you’ll be leaving your car in the driveway, and you’ll find you use it for everything from running up to the store for a few groceries to riding back and forth to the gym.
- You can swap your car for an electronic bicycle – If you’re a two-car family struggling to pay for two cars worth of insurance, gas, and those regular maintenance fees like oil changes, new tires, and repairs, an e-bike just might be your money saving solution. They’re great for commuting back and forth to work, and you’ll be helping the environment by leaving the car behind.
- They’re a great way to improve your health – Anything that makes you want to hit the great outdoors and ride is going to be better than sitting inside, and e-bikes are so fun you won’t want to leave yours alone. With an e-bike you’ll improve your health by getting out there and pedaling, and if you find the terrain is too tough or you’re tired, just kick in the engine and cruise.
- Paying for parking is a thing of the past – Tired of paying for tolls on your local bridge or are you cringing at the monthly bill that comes from parking downtown or at your place of work? With an e-bike you can ride in the bike lane and skip the toll, then when you get to your destination you can lock it up and leave it.
- Electronic bicycles are seriously fun – Before I tried an e-bike for myself, I had no idea how fun it would be to kick in the motor and fly down the street. There are so many different places you can take your e-bike for fun too – from tree-lined forests to steep terrain, your e-bike will get you where you want to go and you’ll have a blast doing it.
For commuters, bike enthusiasts, or just a recreational rider, you just can’t go wrong with an e-bike, and there are so many great reasons to own an e-bike it’s hard to stop at just 5. I guarantee if you try one, you’ll be making your own list before too long.
If you’re ready to cruise on an e-bike, here’s a great selection to choose from:
The Surface 604 Element Electric Bicycle is great for city streets to steep terrain, and goes up to 32 km/hr
With 3-pedal assist and a 250-watt Direct Drive motor, the iGo Urban e-bike will take you everywhere.