Did you know that the average Canadian adult spends three-quarters of their waking hours sitting or reclining? While that stat includes time spent commuting and chilling on the couch, it’s no surprise that it also includes a whole lot of time sitting in front of a computer. With so much time spent sitting, it makes sense that a quality ergonomic chair is essential when it comes to keeping your rear end comfortable and spine in good health.
Let’s face is though; not all office chairs are created equal. So, what constitutes an “ergonomic” chair, you ask? Really, it comes down to five key factors:
- Seat Height – To avoid stress on your spine, you should be able to easily adjust the height of your seat so your feet are flat on the floor, your thighs are parallel to the floor, and your arms in in line with the height of your desk when they are bent at 90-degrees. A seat that ranges in height from 16” to 21” should work for most.
- Seat Width – It goes without saying that the seat should be wide enough for you to fit comfortably, but you should also pay attention to the depth of the chair. When you sit flush against the backrest, you should have between 2” and 4” of space between the back of your knees and the seat.
- Lumbar Support – A good ergonomic chair should have a lumbar adjustment so your lower back is adequately supported. Sitting for extended periods of time without such support could mean back pain and many trips to the chiropractor.
- Backrest – The backrest of your chair should be between 12” and 19” wide and support the natural curve of your spine. It should also be adjustable so you can find a setting that works for you.
- Seat Cushioning – The seat and back of your office chair should have enough padding to be comfortable to sit on for an extended period of time.
Now that you know the basics of what makes a good ergonomic chair, here are some fantastic options to consider:
Work Smart Fabric Mid Back Office Chair
The chair in my home office is very similar to this one, and I love it for many reasons. Not only is it unobtrusive, it is easy to adjust and features a woven mesh back (perfect for working in hot summer months!) and an adjustable lumbar support. It also comes equipped with a one-touch pneumatic seat adjustment, so not matter what your height, you’ll be able to customize the chair’s settings to your frame.
Corliving Workspace Leatherette Mesh Back Office Chair
This Corliving office leatherette chair (shown at the top of this article) features a sleek contemporary look with all the ergonomic bells and whistles you’ll need, including a tilting backrest, a gas lift to adjust seat height, and padded arms to provide support and comfort for days spent behind your computer. Plus, its foam-padded seat will support your behind for years of everyday use.
Zuo Lider Low-Back Office Chair
A little bit retro, a little bit modern; a little bit masculine, a little bit feminine – Any way you cut it, this Zuo Lider office chair is a great fit for almost any décor. But don’t let its aesthetic fool you … it’s still adjustable and sturdy, and is made of durable leatherette, which is super easy to keep clean. However, it doesn’t provide very much lumbar support, so it’s best as a secondary office chair – i.e. for your home office, where you don’t necessarily sit for 8 hours at a time.
When it comes to office chairs, what you want to find is a balance between aesthetics and ergonomics; and while the latter is more important when it comes to the health of your spine, it doesn’t necessarily have to come at the expense of your style. The good news is that Best Buy has you covered – check out their full range of office chairs to find one that suits your unique needs.
Heavy duty chair has a new rage in office seating and this includes the mesh office chair. Shopping for a new mesh office chair should incorporate the contemporary ergonomic designs while still maintaining comfort. The great advantage of mesh chair over the typical office chair includes a constant firm support to better maintain the natural curve of the spine and increase breathability due to screen mesh back.
Comments are closed.