Best Buy is well-known across Canada as a great destination for technology and a great destination for contests. As such, we are celebrating our 20th anniversary in Canada with a little nostalgia and a lot of prizes. Look at the image above … is there something in that selection that you would like to see in your home? Well, this contest will not only give away a great prize on each day of the contest, but the grand prize will include everything you see above … and more. Read carefully to learn how to enter: unlike most contests announced on the blog, you will have to enter on Instagram, not in a blog comment below.
Technology has changed a lot in the last 20 years
Imagine a world twenty years ago when almost no one had a smart phone, smart home technology was extremely limited, and photography mostly required a development studio to reveal what had been captured. Here are some fun facts about tech innovations that affected what was available at Best Buy in the past two decades:
- iPhone introduced by Steve Jobs in 2007; the first Android powered Samsung Galaxy smartphone arrived in 2009.
- Netflix starts a streaming video service in 2007 but doesn’t release original programming until 2013 with House of Cards
- Huge CRT TVs didn’t disappear until around the late 2000s, and LCD TVs (which dominate the market today) didn’t begin to take over until 2006 when prices dropped drastically and typical screen sizes seen increased from 30 inches to over 42 inches.
- Samsung introduced QLED televisions in 2017.
- The first Bluetooth phone came out in 2001, but it wasn’t until 2015 that the the first True Wireless earbuds would be available. That’s only 6 years ago!
There are hundreds of tech milestones over the past 20 years and Best Buy has been here, making them available to Canadians. Think about how much tech has changed in your life then enter this contest for a chance to win amazing prizes.
How to enter
As I said at the top of this article, this contest is different from most that we run at Best Buy. Best Buy will post one tech feature per day on the Best Buy Canada Instagram page during the Contest Period. To enter the Contest, make a comment under a posted tech feature (on Instagram), describing your memories of using either the posted tech feature or any other similar tech. For the comment to be a valid entry it must be made
(a) under a tech feature posted on Best Buy Canada Instagram Feed
(b) before 11:59 p.m. EST on each day of the Contest Period.
NOTE: all entries that qualify for a Daily Prize will also qualify for the Grand Prize.
What you can win
At the end of each day during the contest period, a winner will be selected from all eligible entries on Instagram to receive the Daily Prize: a $200 Gift Certificate from Best Buy. At the end of the contest, one winner will be selected from all eligible entries received during the contest to receive the Grand Prize of $20000.00 of tech devices and related products.
The contest will run from October 8th until October 27th.
Good luck to everyone!