I have reviewed several Defender security camera systems over the years and am impressed with their consistent quality and ease of installation. I am also very glad to be able to offer their newest product, the Defender Sentinel, as a contest prize for Canadians. I recently installed a four camera Defender Sentinel system ( they also come with eight cameras!) of these at a business near my home on Mayne Island, the Blue Vista Resort. I’m going to explain some of the reasons why this system is great for home and businesses. Then I’ll explain what you need to do for a chance to win one.
Why is the Defender Sentinel great for your business
There are lots of types of security camera systems, some more cost effective than others, some more versatile than others, and some more effective than others. Defender systems have a lot to offer small businesses who want a system that is a one time reasonable expense, enables you to capture all angles and entrances, and performs as expected for years.
As I mentioned, I installed one of these at a business near my home. You can learn more about the Sentinel camera system and read about the installation here. A few weeks after the install I spoke with the business owner: he was very happy with the system. Here are some of the reasons why I think it is a good choice for a small business like the Blue Vista Resort on Mayne Island.
- Cost effective: Defender systems, even the brand new Sentinel system that we are giving away in this contest, are less expensive than many security camera systems available. In addition, you only have the one expense when you buy the system: there are no cloud storage fees, ever! I showed in my review article how simple the installation is so you won’t pay for an expensive installation.
- Simple wired installation: Most professional installers recommend a wired camera system for a more stable and reliable signal. Some people may be concerned that a wired system is complicated to set up. However, that is not the case. Decide on the best place for the camera (overlooking entrances, parking lots, etc), and the best place for the NVR (close to the router usually), and plan the path for the included ethernet wire. Importantly, once you set it up, you will not likely need to go back to it. Most people just use the app to access the system after it is installed.
- Instant access to live and recorded footage from anywhere: I have used many different camera systems and the Defender apps I have used stand out. One of my pet peeves is an app that hangs, freezes, or otherwise makes your footage inaccessible at times. The app experience is one of my favourite things about Defender cameras. What is the point of having a security camera if you can’t see the footage when you want to? I can honestly say, over the past 3 years that I have been testing Defender cameras, I have never had any app issues with Defender (and I regularly have app issues with many other brands of cameras). This is a very important point for businesses like the Blue Vista Resort: they need to be able to see their property 24/7 and they get that with Defender.
Why is the Defender Sentinel great for your home
The Defender Sentinel is the first camera system that I installed at a business in many, many years. The other Defender systems I tested were installed at private homes. And they are a great choice for homeowners too. I don’t think any one type of camera system is perfect for everyone: there are good reasons to get a wireless camera solution, a battery camera solution, a cloud recording solution, etc. The wired Defender Sentinel offers very high resolution images, thanks to its 4k camera, which is great for anyone wanting to see very clearly who or what is triggering the motion detection.
On the subject of motion detection, some systems do this better than others and I am very pleased with the responsiveness of Defender cameras. Homeowners can take comfort in the fact that if someone enters your driveway and approaches your vehicles, the camera will see them and record them … and thanks to the 4K cameras that include colour night vision, you’ll have clear footage to share with the authorities if anything goes wrong. Additionally, some of us use the cameras for more than security. I like to see what our cats are up to as they wander around outside.
Of course, one of the best reasons to have a camera system is as a visual deterrent. These cameras will light up when motion is detected and that alone can boost security near your home. It will put an end to many potential problems before they happen! So whether it’s for your home or for your business, enter for a chance to win.
How to enter
Entering this contest is easy and you can enter in two different ways.
- In a comment below, tell us which of the many features I discussed above stands out as the best reason why people should consider Defender for their next smart camera.
- In a comment below the review article I wrote, tell us if you would like this for a home or a business and give us one or two reasons why you want the Defender Sentinel system.
What you can win
At the end of this contest, we will randomly select one winner to receive a new Defender Sentinel 4K Ultra HD POE Wired NVR Security System with 4 Cameras, Colour Night Vision, Smart Human Detection & Mobile App.
This contest runs from Oct 11th to Oct 26th.
Remember you can enter in two different ways. You likely know someone who has talked about getting a security system and who would be grateful to know they could win one from Best Buy. Share this contest with them so they too have a chance of winner a Defender camera system.