Over the last year Sony has given us tidbits of information on its upcoming next generation console, PlayStation 5. In March, Lead System Architect Mark Cerny gave an in-depth talk on the hardware technical specs for PlayStation 5. Then, in April, the PS5 controller aptly named DualSense was revealed.
Next, in early June, we got to see what the PlayStation 5 itself looks like and learned that there will be two PS5 models. And, we also got a first look at next-gen games running on PS5. Needless to say, it’s easy to see why so many people are excited for the PlayStation 5 this fall.
However, keeping track of all the news can be difficult and a daunting task. Here at Best Buy we are all about making things easy. So, we have created your one and only stop for all the latest and greatest news on PlayStation 5. Don’t forget! Bookmark this page, because through December we’ll be updating this article regularly to include a summary of all the news as it happens.
**Updated September 16, 2020**
PlayStation 5 launch date, price, pre-order info and games update
Today, at the PlayStation 5 showcase, Sony announced that the PS5 will launch on November 12, 2020. The PlayStation 5 Standard Edition will sell for $629.99 and the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition will sell for $499.99.
In addition, Sony showcased a number of titles coming to PS5 including:
- Final Fantasy XVI
- Hogwarts Legacy (2021)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Launch title)
- Resident Evil Village (2021)
- Oddworld: Soulstorm
- Five Nights at Freddy’s: Security Breach
- Demon’s Souls (Launch title)
- Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (Available digitally at launch)
- Fortnite (Launch title)
- Deathloop (2021)
- New God of War
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Launch title)
Finally, we learned of a new perk for PS5 owners with a PlayStation Plus subscription. PlayStation Plus Collection is a collection of some of the best PS4 games that you can play on PS5. Games shown include: God of War, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Remastered and more.
PlayStation 5 Showcase announced
PlayStation fans woke up Saturday September 12th to news they have been waiting for. On September 16, 2020 at 1PM PDT / 4PM EDT PS5 fans will get one more look at games coming to PS5 at launch and beyond. Furthermore, the presentation is expected to last about 40 mins.
Although it wasn’t specifically mentioned, there is a strong possibility that we’ll finally get prices on PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 5 Digital Edition consoles as well as an official launch date. Stay tuned to the Best Buy blog for all the latest info on PlayStation 5.
Sony releases PlayStation 5’s first global ad
The marketing for Sony’s next generation has begun with the company’s first global ad for PS5. The ad, below, showcases haptic feedback from the DualSense controller, PlayStation 5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech and the DualSense’s adaptive triggers.
PS4 peripherals & accessories backwards compatibility
Many have been wondering about what existing PS4 peripherals and accessories will work on PlayStation 5. In early August, Sony made an official announcement regarding compatibility. The biggest bit of news out of the announcement was that DualShock 4 controllers can only be used to play PS4 games.
- Speciality peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
- The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PS5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PS5).
- The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.
- Both the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PS VR games on PS5.
- The PlayStation Camera will work with PS5 for playing supported PS VR games. It will require an adaptor that Sony will provide at no additional cost to PS VR users. Details on how to get the adaptor will be announced later.
August 2020 State of Play
Going into the event, Sony made it very clear that there would be no PS5 hardware announcements. While many were hoping for a release date and price on the PS5, instead we got new details on third party and indie titles coming to PS5.
The games were announced for PS5: Braid Anniversary Edition, Temtem, and Hood: Outlaws and Legends. Additionally, we learned more about Bugsnax, and got a closer look at Godfall. Be sure to check out Dave’s PlayStation State of Play August 2020 recap for more details on the event.
Bookmark this page for the latest news on PlayStation 5
PlayStation 5 fans, make sure to bookmark this page to keep up with the latest news on PlayStation 5 at Best Buy. We’ll be updating this page regularly with the newest info.
Let me know in the comments section below what model PS5 you will be picking up and what games you are most interested in.