Live out your Olympic dreams in Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 The Official Video Game. Available now for Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC and Stadia. Sega brings all the fun and excitement of the Olympics in an arcade-style experience to your living room.
Compete for the gold medal as an Olympic athlete in 18 events in both local and online multiplayer events. If you are a fan of Konami’s classic Track & Field video game, read on to find out why you’ll spend countless hours of fun with Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 The Official Video Game.
Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 The Official Video Game Details
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC and Stadia
Reviewed on: Stadia
Modes: Single player, multiplayer
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10+)
Customize and create your dream Olympic athlete
As part of the road to Olympic glory, you are first tasked with creating your own avatar. The game features customizable stylized cartoon-like characters that remind me of those found on Xbox. You can customize pretty much everything including style, physique, facial features, voice, ability type and dominant hand/foot. Moreover, there are plenty of outfits for you to choose from, over 50, including a simple running outfit all the way to an astronaut suit.
Additionally, there are hats and masks that you can dress your avatar up including cat ears, a crown and a witch’s hat. You can even go as far as to dress your avatar up in a Sonic the Hedgehog costume! Costumes and hats are unlocked by using points that you earn by competing in each of the game’s 18 events.
Naturally, these are all cosmetic changes and have no bearing on how well your avatar will perform in the game. For example, wearing an astronaut outfit in the 100-metre dash won’t slow you down a single bit. Without a doubt, Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 The Official Video Game offers an ample number of ways to make your avatar your own unique creation.
Arcade style sporting events
One of the things that I love most about this game is its arcade-like gameplay and experience. By going this route, Sega has created a game that appeals to a wide audience and is easy to pick-up-and-play. Each of the events require simple button presses or movements of the thumbsticks.
Some of my favourite events include beach volleyball, tennis, basketball, BMX and soccer. What makes these events so enjoyable is their simplicity. You don’t have to worry about having to know or follow complex rules to enjoy them. Each event includes easy to follow instructions that give you an overview of what you need to do in each event.
18 Fun fueled Olympic events
There are a total of 18 events that you can play by yourself or with others either via local or online multiplayer. These events include:
- Sport Climbing – Race against your opponent in a furious climb to the top of the wall.
- 4 X 100M Relay – A team sprint that requires runners to collectively run the fastest heat ever.
- Long Jump – Utilize speed, timing, and technique as you leap towards the gold medal.
- Boxing – Lace up your gloves and prove who’s king of the ring.
- 110M Hurdles– This event requires a balance of blazing speed and perfect timing.
- Judo – Use techniques, throws and takedowns to overcome your opponent.
- Beach Volleyball – Be the best on the beach in this fast-paced, 2-person volleyball event.
- Hammer Throw – Spin for the win as you send your hammer soaring for glory!
- Table Tennis – Claim the crown as table tennis champion.
- Baseball – Take to the diamond and bring home the gold!
- Soccer – Compete to be the best on the pitch.
- 100M Freestyle – Use a mix of rhythm, timing and speed to rule the pool in this fast-paced swimming event.
- 200M Individual Medley – Master not one, but four strokes to in this showcase of swimming skills.
- Tennis – Serve, volley, and smash your way to the gold medal.
- Basketball – Dribble, defend and dunk your team to the gold medal.
- Rugby Sevens – This high-octane version of rugby has only seven players per side, so the tackles and tries come fast and furious.
- 100M – Race for gold in this thrilling, all-out sprint.
- BMX – Get your pedals pumping and your bike jumping in this crowd-pleasing BMX cycling race.
Local and multiplayer Olympic fun
As mentioned previously you can compete in local and online multiplayer fun. Online multiplayer supports up to 8 players. However, local multiplayer features 2 players to keep things easier to follow while sharing one screen. Not only can you play in coop or competitive multiplayer, there are also practice and ranked modes where you can take on players from around the world in a series of event medleys.
Furthermore, Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 The Official Video Game features online leaderboards that allow you to track your results in real time as you compete against others from around the world.
Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 The Official Video Game
The Olympic games only come around every few years and Sega comes through again with a fun and exciting way to experience the Olympic glory at home. From the extensive character customization options to the easy to pick-up-and-play gameplay mechanics to the fun fueled Olympic events, you’ll have countless hours of fun with Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 The Official Video Game.
+ Extensive character customization
+ Easy to pick-up-and-play gameplay
+ 18 fun filled Olympic events
+ Local and online multiplayer
– Limited to 2 player local multiplayer
– No national anthems
OVERALL ASSESSMENT OF OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020 THE OFFICIAL VIDEO GAME
Lasting Appeal/Replayability: 4.5/5
Overall Rating 3.9/5 (78%)
Get Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 The Official Video Game for Nintendo Switch
Buy Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 The Official Video Game for PS4
Purchase Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 The Official Video Game for Xbox One
Click here to see the full line of video game software available at Bestbuy.ca
Click here to see digital video game downloads offered at BestBuy.ca
Thanks for the review as always Jon! I really should pick this up on Stadia!
Comments are closed.