Juicing has been around for a long time, but people really only started to sit up and take notice of it in the past year or two. With the release of documentaries like “Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead” and a recommendation by Dr.Oz, juicing is fast becoming a way of life for everyone from young parents trying to incorporate all food groups into the diets of fussy young eaters, athletes who want an all-natural energy boost, or people who just want to have a balanced diet.
Whether your goal is to ‘drink your vegetables’ or you want to lose weight by substituting a meal for juice, the key to having a positive experience while juicing is finding the best juicer for you.
Slow juicers have a single auger that works to crush your fruits and vegetables into the walls of the juicer. Otherwise known as masticating juicers, they are known for extracting the most liquid and nutrients from your produce. Although they’re called the ‘slow juicer,’ masticating juicers only take a bit longer to produce juice than other types and they are the best choice when you’re consistently juicing greens like kale and spinach.
Some of the distinctive features of slow juicers are:
- You’ll get extra fiber from your juice – Because of the way it processes juice, a slow juicer will produce juice that is thicker and has more fiber.
- You can juice wheatgrass: Wheatgrass is packed with vitamins, minerals, and helpful enzymes, and one shot of it in your juice can give you energy and help you meet your daily nutritional requirements.
- It’s nut-friendly – You can juice almonds for almond milk with a slow juicer.
- Quiet and easy to clean – Slow juicers don’t have a blade so they run quieter and are easy to clean.
Want to get started juicing? Try the Kuvings Slow Multipurpose Masticating Juicer. With a 170-watt motor you can slow cruise at 80rpm to get the best, most nutritious juice from produce like kale, carrots, and wheatgrass. The Kuvings Slow Juicer also extracts juice from pasta, will grind coffee beans and spices, and can create a soymilk whip for your coffee.
High-speed juicers are also known as centrifugal juicers, and they work by shredding the produce at extremely high speeds to extract the liquid from the produce. Most high-speed juicers have wide mouths so you can throw in an entire apple or orange without a lot of prep, and they will create a large quantity of juice from your fruits and vegetables.
A few of the great features of high-speed juicers are:
- They’re fast – High-speed juicers can shred an apple, kale, carrots, and almost anything else you can throw at it in under a minute.
- They don’t produce a lot of pulp – If you don’t like pulp in your juice, you’ll be happy to know a centrifugal juicer tends to keep the pulp in the sieve.
- Great for an instant drink – Centrifugal juicers are great for people who drink their juice right away and don’t want to store it.
- Easy to clean – For more high-speed juicers, the blades, basket, and sieve can be put in the dishwasher.
High-speed juicers are a great way to introduce juicing to your daily diet, and the Breville Juice Fountain makes it simple to create fresh, delicious juice. It has a 900-watt motor, spins at 13,000 rpm, and can make quick work of your kale, apples, and beets. With a stainless steel filter, the Breville Juice Fountain can extract the most amount of juice from your produce and is still easy to clean up – just pop the parts in your dishwasher and you’ll be ready for your next round of juice.
A whole-food juicer or blender creates juice by chopping up the pulp and can puree or liquefy your fruits and vegetables. Some people prefer whole food juicers because literally no part of the produce gets left out, and you can strain the juice to remove some pulp.
Other benefits to a whole-food juicer are:
- They’re fast – Whole-food juicers are much quicker than high-speed juicers or slow juicers.
- They produce more juice – A whole-food juicer can use every part of the fruit of vegetable, and they’ll produce more juice than if you used the same ingredients in a different juicer.
- You can get your greens – Whole-food juicers are great for greens like spinach and kale.
- They’re easy to clean – All you need to do to clean up is pop your whole-food juicer into the dishwasher.
If you’d like a whole-food juicer, you can’t go wrong with the Breville Die-Cast Blender. With a 1000-watt motor it blends, crushes, and liquefies your produce to make nutritious, delicious juice, and because it has a Hemisphere Blade and Bowl system, you won’t have to worry about food getting trapped in the bottom of the blender.
As you can see, there are many different types of juicers and they create many different types of juice. Deciding on the best juicer for you is as simple as defining your juicing goals and selecting the type that fits with your plans.
There are a wide variety of juicers and blenders available at Best Buy.