Summer is winding down and that means it is time to prepare for back to school. Every student needs something, whether it’s clothes, shoes, pencils or pens. Navigating the aisles and websites to locate the best products to complete your back to school list can be daunting. The last thing you need is to struggle with the terminology of the new technology. Best Buy is going to help with this fantastic tech terms scavenger hunt. You’ll learn what some of the lingo really means, and at the same time have a chance to win great prizes.
So for example, if your child asks for an i5 processor, or a retina display would you immediately be typing that into Google for a definition? I work at Best Buy so I am keenly aware that the tech world is overrun with acronyms, and newly-coined terms that are more than a decade away from getting entered into the common vernacular (and may never be considered for the OED, my English language go to reference!).
That’s why you should enter this contest: have fun learning some of the new tech terms, searching the site for products that use those terms in their descriptions, or specifications, and at the same time try to win some amazing prizes—trust me you’ll want to win these prizes! In fact, unlike most of the contests we conduct, you’ll get to decide what the prize will be. That’s right, you choose the prize by finding something that has the featured tech term in its product description, or specifications, and telling us what you found. Each week, Best Buy will draw one eligible entry to win the tech that they linked to in their contest entry comment on Facebook (up to a maximum $2000 value!).
HOW TO ENTER
First you’ll need a Facebook account—which shouldn’t be a problem since almost everyone has one already (and if you don’t you can get one really easily). Next, go to the Best Buy Canada (or Best Buy Quebec) Facebook page and find the contest post. At the beginning of each week during the contest that post will present a tech term and its meaning. Find a product at BestBuy.ca that has that term in the product name, or anywhere on that page. Copy the web URL (the link) for that product. Post a comment to the contest Facebook post, and include the link you just copied.
WHAT YOU CAN WIN
At the end of each week Best Buy will choose three eligible contest entries to win a prize. Two of these winners will receive a Best Buy gift card worth $300. One person each week will receive a grand prize: they will win the item that they chose to link to their contest entry—as long as it is $2000 or less! So if you added a link to a new computer to your comment on Facebook, you’ll win that computer. Over the three weeks of the contest nine prizes in total will be given away, including 3 grand prizes.
The contest runs from Aug 14th until September 3rd.
You are always welcome to leave comments on the blog, and they are very much appreciated. However, only comments posted on the official Facebook contest post that include a link to a product at Bestbuy.ca, that includes the tech term of the week present on its webpage, will be considered eligible to win a prize.
Good Luck to everyone
Contest Rules for Best Buy’s
Back to School Translation Scavenger Hunt
Aug 14 – Sept 3
How to Enter the Contest:
- No purchase necessary.
- Entries may be made online on Facebook from the moment the Official Contest Post is posted to the Best Buy Canada (“Best Buy”) and Best Buy Quebec Facebook at 9:00 a.m. (PDT) on August 14th, 2015 until 11:59 p.m. (PDT) on Thursday, September 3, 2015 (the “Contest Period”). The Official Contest Posts will contain a translation to a tech term. To enter the Contest, entrants must post a comment on a Official Contest Post with a product link from www.BestBuy.ca identifying a product that has the specified tech term in the product description, category name, or specification page for that product on www.BestBuy.ca. Best Buy has sole discretion to determine whether an entrant has correctly identified a featured product. Entries that incorrectly identify a product or fail to provide the URL to the product, may be rejected. It is required that participants have a valid Facebook account so Best Buy can communicate with the selected winner.
- Only one entry is allowed per participant per week during the Contest Period. Participants making more than one entry will be disqualified. Entries that are fraudulent and contestants entering with multiple accounts are not permitted and will be declared invalid.
Who Can Enter
- The Contest is open to residents of Canada. Where an entrant is a minor, a parent or guardian who has reached the age of majority in his or her province of residence by the closing date of the Contest, must indicate acceptance of these Contest rules (the “Rules”).
- The Contest is not open to employees of Best Buy, and its parents, subsidiaries, or affiliated companies, its advertising and promotion agencies, or its other representatives or agents, or anyone with whom any of the foregoing is domiciled.
- PRIZE: Each week during the Contest Period three (3) prizes (the “Prizes”) will be awarded to three (3) different contest entrants (for a total of 9 Prize winners over the course of the Contest Period). Each week, one entrant will be awarded a Grand Prize consisting of the product the Grand Prize winner named in their contest entry (up to a maximum $2000.00 value); and two (2) entrants will each be awarded a $300.00 Best Buy gift card (the “Second Place Prize” and the “Third Place Prize”). The Grand Prize winner receives the item identified in the contest entry or at Best Buy’s discretion a gift card for its equivalent value (to a max of $2000.00). In the event that a Grand Prize winner’s Contest entry references a product valued at over $2000.00 (as determined by Best Buy), the Grand Prize winner will be required to select an alternate product or, should the Grand Prize winner fail to do so, an alternate product will be selected by Best Buy. The total value of Grand Prizes awarded will not exceed $6,000.00, and the total value of Second Place and Third Place Prizes is exactly $1,800.00.
- Prize must be accepted as awarded. The Prize may not be sold, transferred and no component thereof is convertible into cash.
- Prize to be administered by Best Buy. All of the above Prize details are subject to change without notice at the Best Buy’s sole discretion.
- All other expenses not specified herein are the sole responsibility of the winner.
- Three (3) entrants will be randomly drawn from all eligible entries each week during the Contest Period, as follows:
Week 1: The Week 1 Grand Prize will be drawn at approximately 10 a.m (PDT) on August 21, 2015, followed immediately by the Week 1 Second Place Prize, followed immediately by the Week 1 Third Place Prize;
Week 2: The Week 2 Grand Prize will be drawn at approximately 10 a.m (PDT) on August 28, 2015, followed immediately by the Week 2 Second Place Prize, followed immediately by the Week 2 Third Place Prize ; and
Week 3: The Week 3 Grand Prize will be drawn at approximately 10 a.m (PDT) on September 4,, 2015, followed immediately by the Week 3 Second Place Prize, followed immediately by the Week 3 Third Place Prize.
- Best Buy may Tweet on Twitter or Share on Facebook various entries at any time without awarding Prizes to those entrants.
- Best Buy reserves the right to cancel the Contest, disqualify and remove any entry which is, in the Contest judges’ discretion, inappropriate, offensive, defamatory, or demeaning.
- Following the selection, the Prize winner will be contacted directly via Facebook within twenty-four (24) hours of the winner selection.
- In order to receive the Prize, the Prize winner must:
- respond to the Prize notification within one (1) day of the announcement by emailing email@example.com with their contact information;
- correctly answer, unaided, a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question; and
- sign a declaration stating that he/she:
- has read, understands and complies with the Contest Rules;
- releases and discharges Best Buy, and its parents, subsidiaries affiliates, officers, directors, employees, and agents; and
- consents to the announcement of the Prize winner’s name and the use by or on behalf of Best Buy of the Prize winner’s name, address, photograph, likeness, voice or statements, for advertising and promotional purposes without any further compensation to the Prize winner.
- Should the Prize winner fail to comply with any of the requirements set out in paragraph 14 within 24 hours of receiving the declaration, his/her Prize will be automatically forfeited and the Contest officials will select another entrant. Delivery of gift cards will be done electronically to the winner’s email address.
- The chances of winning a Prize depends on the number of eligible entries received.
- A winner may win only one prize during the Contest Period.
Consent to Personal Information Use and Disclosure
- By entering the Contest, entrants consent to Best Buy’s collection, use and disclosure of the personal information provided in Contest entries for the administration of the Contest and in aggregated, non-personal form in order to create reports regarding Contest entrant demographics and consumer habits, which reports Best Buy may disclose to others.
Disclaimer and Liability Exclusion
- Best Buy, and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, and agents (together, the “Released Parties”) will not, under any circumstances, be responsible for, or liable to any Contest entrant or any other person for:
- any erroneous, lost, damaged, late, incomplete, misdirected, deleted, defective, or altered Contest entries, regardless of the cause;
- any failure for any reason whatsoever of the selected entrant to receive a Prize notification email;
- any changes in email addresses or email address assignments after Contest entry forms are submitted;
- any computer, online, telephone, or technical malfunctions or errors that may occur, regardless of the cause; or
- any damage or loss, including any loss of use, loss of production, loss of profits (anticipated or otherwise), loss of markets, economic loss, special, indirect or consequential loss or damage or punitive damages, whether in contract, tort or under any other theory of law or equity, arising from, connected with, or relating to the Contest or the submission of entries to the Contest or participation in the Contest or the Contest Prize, or the use of the www.bestbuy.ca web site (including the downloading of any materials from that web site) and regardless of the cause or any negligence by the Released Parties, or anyone for whom the Released Parties are responsible, and notwithstanding that Best Buy may have been advised of the possibility of such loss or damage being incurred.
- If for any reason the Contest is not capable of being conducted as intended by Best Buy, including due to computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause that corrupts or interferes with the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, Best Buy may, at its sole discretion, disqualify any entrant responsible for such misconduct and cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest.
The Released Parties are not responsible for: (i) any damage to or loss of the Prize that may occur as a result of or in the course of delivery of the Prize, (ii) delivery of the Prize within a reasonable or specified time, or (iii) any costs associated with the installation or assembly of a Prize, if applicable. If you are a selected entrant, you are solely responsible for the reporting and payment of any taxes related to the receipt of the Prize.
- CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR INTERFERE WITH THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND BEST BUY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND/OR OTHER RELIEF FROM ALL RESPONSIBLE PERSONS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- Return of any Prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification, and an alternate winner may be selected.
- Decisions of Contest judges in respect of any aspect of the Contest are final and binding on all entrants.
- Participation in the Contest constitutes acceptance and agreement to these Contest Rules.
- Best Buy reserves the right, at its option, to publish the Prize winner’s name, address, photograph, likeness, voice or statements without any further compensation to the winner.
- The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and local laws and is void where prohibited by law. If any provision of these rules is found by any court of competent jurisdiction to be unenforceable, all other provisions will remain in full force and effect.
- Best Buy may, where required by law, disclose contest entrant information to the government.
- Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of this publicity Contest may be submitted by a resident of the Province of Quebec to the Régie des alcools, des jeux et des courses for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a Prize may be submitted by a resident of the Province of Quebec to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement
i hope you have a installment plan
You guys are super great for holding these giveaways and giving anyone a chance to get something amazing! Thank you!
I think the Wowwee MiP Robot is an awesome toy!
you guysare great i hope i win something i havent won anything in years
Gift two is an xbox one
Comments are closed.