Every year around this time, I, like so many others, start thinking about my New Years resolutions. Not surprisingly, they typically revolve around ways in which I can (and should) be more healthy. This year, the plan is to get to the gym more, cut back on adult grape juice, and jump on the smoothie bandwagon.
I’ve long known the health benefits that come from starting every day with a nutrient and antioxidant rich smoothie, but every time I try to whip something together, my blender falls short. That’s where Blendtec Designer Series Blenders come in.
Widely regarded as one of the best blenders on the market, Blendtec Designer Series Blenders makes easy work out of turning seeds, fiber, and pulp from fruits and vegetables into smooth, liquid deliciousness. With a commercial-quality 1,560-watt, 3 HP (Peak Horsepower) direct drive motor and a 2-prong steel blade that spins at up to 29,000 rpm, Blendtec has the most powerful motor available for home use. Plus, the combination of its 2-prong steel blade and its square, 2-quart blender jar, force ingredients to bounce off the sides and move back into the blade where they are sure to get blended to perfection. This is in stark contrast to round jars that push ingredients to the top where they often remain unblended.
Because smoothies retain all the fiber, nutrients, and antioxidants of whole raw fruits and vegetables, they are one of the best ways to improve digestion and immune function, prevent disease, burn fat more effectively, and give your body the enzymes it needs to be healthier in general.
Here are a few tasty and healthy smoothie recipes to get you started. Just combine the ingredients in your Blendtec Designer Series square jar, select “smoothie” and serve!
Pumpkin Pleaser Smoothie
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ cups bananas quartered
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Orange juice is full of Vitamin C, which protects us from free radicals that cause early aging, and aids in the absorption of essential minerals like calcium. Orange juice also reduces inflammation, balances blood pressure, and can help lower bad cholesterol.
- The probiotics and calcium in low fat yogurt can help boost the immune system, prevent osteoporosis, and reduce the risk of high blood pressure.
- Like other squash varietals, pumpkin is rich in vital antioxidants, Vitamin A, carotenes, and fiber.
- Bananas are one of the best natural sources of potassium, which is essential for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function.
- 1 ½ cups apple juice
- 1 banana
- 6 strawberries (leave the greens on your strawberries as they are packed with chlorophyll, which is like getting a shot of wheatgrass!)
- Apple juice is a great source of super antioxidants – polyphenol and flavonoids – that are beneficial for heart health, and can help prevent asthma.
- Strawberries are rich in antioxidants that fight against inflammatory disorders such as osteoarthritis, cancer, asthma, and atherosclerosis. They are also an excellent source of B-complex Vitamins, and manganese, the latter being great for the bones.
Mixed Fruit Smoothie
- 1 cup grapes
- 1 orange
- 1 banana
- 1 cup strawberries
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Grapes are a great source of micro-nutrients like copper, iron, and manganese, all of which are important in bone strength and growth. They also help fight against heart disease and kidney disorders, and via a compound called pterostilbene, they can help lower cholesterol.
Berry Banana Green Smoothie
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 1 banana
- 2 cups spinach
- Blueberries are rich in antioxidants, which work to neutralize free radicals linked to cancer, cardiovascular disease and other age-related conditions. They are also said to boost brain health and prevent cognitive decline.
- Spinach is packed with vitamins and minerals that help protect eyesight and bones, and prevent cancer.
So, I don’t know about you, but I’m going to get my smoothie on! Here’s to a happy and healthy 2014
Blendtec makes soups too!
Do more with Blendtec
Make desserts with Blendtec