Who are the defining faces of “cool” these days? Geeks! They’ve come a long way since the days when Bill Gates was their poster child. Now there are so many in all facets of life. Who did the camera keep panning to during the recent Wimbledon Championships? Sitting with Canadian tennis sensation Eugenie Bouchard’s family was one of the biggest geeks on television, Jim Parsons from the Big Bang Theory!
Geeks have been very popular in film too. The recent Oscar nominated movie “Her” was all about Geeks – and appropriately, only about 2 minutes into the movie the main character received an email from Best Buy! Of course there are Geeks in music, art … Geeks are everywhere and they are cool!
Best Buy wants to celebrate our inner Geek with two great events. First the Geek Squad is celebrating National Embrace Your Geekness Day on Sunday July 13th. The Geek Squad will be holding a Geek Parade, driving a caravan of Geek Squad mobiles around Toronto and Vancouver this Sunday. Come on out and give a wave and show your love of Geeks everywhere!
The second way that the Geek Squad wants to help celebrate the Geek is through a really fun and “cool” contest! Beginning on Friday July 11th, Best Buy stores will be giving away free Geek Squad #Geekisthenewcool car sun shades. These are great! Put one over your dash during the day and it will prevent the sun from entering through your windshield – it really helps to keep your car cooler in the summer. And it shows that you are celebrating the Geek. You can also win a great Best Buy gift card too by enter this contest!
HOW TO ENTER:
It is really easy to enter this contest.
- Get your free #Geekisthenewcool car sun shade from Best Buy. There are only a limited number available for all of Canada beginning on July 11th so don’t delay!
- Place the Geek Squad sun shade on your car dash and take a picture of your vehicle displaying the sun shade
- Upload the photo to Twitter or Instagram, being sure to include the hashtag #Geekisthenewcool.
The contest runs from July 11th until July 24th.
WHAT YOU CAN WIN:
Best Buy and Geek Squad will randomly choose 10 eligible entries to win a $100 Best Buy Gift card that you can use to purchase anything online or in-store at Best Buy. Be sure to follow us on Twitter or Instagram so we can inform you if you win.
You don’t have to be a Geek to win, but you may be one and not even know it. I think we need a Jeff Foxworthy style set of criteria for Geekness. Something like:
If you can read more types of computer languages (HTML, Objective-C, Basic, PHP, etc) than regular languages, then you might be a Geek.
Or – if you chuckled at the joke featured in the movie “Her” (what does a baby computer call her father?) then you might be a Geek.
So get a Geek Squad car sun shade before supplies run out, take the photo of it in your car and post it on Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #Geekisthenewcool. And if you are in the vicinity, cheer on the caravan of Geek Squad mobiles.
Happy National Embrace Your Geekness Day!
Contest Rules for Best Buy’s
Geek Squad Sun Visor Contest
July 11 – 24, 2014
How to Enter
- No purchase necessary.
- Entries may be made online on Twitter or Instagram between 12:00 a.m. on Friday, July 11, 2014 and 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, July 24, 2014 (PST) (the “Contest Period”) by tweeting or posting to Instagram a photo of your vehicle displaying a Geek Squad sun visor including the hashtag #GeekIsTheNewCool and tagging @BestbuyCanada or @BestBuyQuebec. It is required that entrants either have a valid Twitter account and follow @BestbuyCanada or @BestBuyQuebec, or have a valid Instagram account and follow @BBYCanada, so we can communicate with the selected winner.
- Geek Squad sun visors are available free of charge at the Geek Squad customer service counter at all Best Buy stores starting July 11, 2014, only while supplies last. 4000 Geek Squad sun visors have been printed.
- Only one entry per person. Participants making multiple entries will only have their first entry considered. Photos must be a single work of original material created by the entrant. Entries that are fraudulent and contestants entering with multiple accounts are not permitted and will be declared invalid.
Who Can Enter
- The Contest is open to residents of Canada. Where an entrant is a minor, a parent or guardian who has reached the age of majority in his or her province of residence by the closing date of the Contest, must indicate acceptance of the Contest rules.
- The Contest is not open to employees of Best Buy Canada Ltd. (“Best Buy”), and their parent, subsidiaries, or affiliated companies, their advertising and promotion agencies, or their other representatives or agents, or anyone with whom any of the foregoing is domiciled.
- There are ten (10) prizes available to be won, each consisting of a $100.00 Best Buy gift card. The total retail value of all the prizes is $1000.00 CAD.
- Prizes must be accepted as awarded. The prize may not be sold, transferred and no component thereof is convertible to cash.
- Best Buy reserves the right to substitute any of the prizes with a prize of equivalent retail value in the event a prize is not reasonably available at their discretion.
- Five of the winners will be selected by contest officials based on the originality of the photo including the location of the car. These winners will be selected throughout the contest period.
- Five of the winners will be randomly drawn from eligible entries at approximately 10 a.m. on Friday, July 25, 2014 at the Best Buy’s head office, at 8800 Glenlyon Parkway, Burnaby, BC.
- The officials may ReTweet or re-post various entries at any time without awarding prizes to those contestants.
- Best Buy reserves the right to cancel the contest, disqualify and remove any entry which is, in the judging panel’s discretion, inappropriate, offensive, defamatory, or demeaning.
- Following the selection, the winners will be contacted through their Twitter or Instagram account within forty-eight (48) hours of the winner selection.
- In order to receive a prize, the applicable winners must:
- Respond to the prize notification within two (2) days of transmission;
- correctly answer, unaided, a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question; and
- sign a declaration stating that he/she:
- has read, understands and complies with the Contest rules;
- releases and discharges Best Buy and their respective parents, subsidiaries affiliates, officers, directors, employees, and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”); and
- consents to the announcement of the winner’s name and the use by or on behalf of Best Buy of the winner’s name, address, photograph, likeness, voice or statements, and/or use of winning photo for advertising and promotional purposes without any further compensation to the winner.
- Should the prize winners fail to comply with any of the requirements set out in paragraph 13, their applicable prize will be automatically forfeited and the officials will select another winning contestant.
- The chances of winning a prize depends on the number of eligible entries received.
Consent to Personal Information Use and Disclosure
- By entering the Contest, participants consent to Best Buy’s collection, use and disclosure of the personal information provided in Contest entries for the administration of the Contest and in aggregated, non-personal form in order to create reports regarding Contest entrant demographics and consumer habits, which reports Best Buy’s may disclose to others.
Disclaimer and Liability Exclusion
- Best Buy and their parent, subsidiaries and affiliates will not, under any circumstances, be responsible for, or liable to any Contest entrant or any other person for:
- any erroneous, lost, damaged, late, incomplete, misdirected, deleted, defective, or altered Contest entries, regardless of the cause;
- any failure for any reason whatsoever of the selected entrant to receive a prize notification email;
- any changes in email addresses or email address assignments after Contest entry forms are submitted;
- any computer, online, telephone, or technical malfunctions or errors that may occur, regardless of the cause; or
- any damage or loss, including any loss of use, loss of production, loss of profits (anticipated or otherwise), loss of markets, economic loss, special, indirect or consequential loss or damage or punitive damages, whether in contract, tort or under any other theory of law or equity, arising from, connected with, or relating to the Contest or the submission of entries to the Contest or participation in the Contest or the Contest prize, or the use of the www.bestbuy.ca web site (including the downloading of any materials from that web site) and regardless of the cause or any negligence by Best Buy or anyone for whom Best Buy is responsible, and notwithstanding that Best Buy may have been advised of the possibility of such loss or damage being incurred.
- If for any reason the Contest is not capable of being conducted as intended by Best Buy, including due to computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause that corrupts or interferes with the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, Best Buy may, at its sole discretion, disqualify any entrant responsible for such misconduct and cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest.
- CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR INTERFERE WITH THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND BEST BUY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND/OR OTHER RELIEF FROM ALL RESPONSIBLE PERSONS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- Return of any prize notification email as undeliverable may result in disqualification, and an alternate winner may be selected.
- Decisions of Contest judges in respect of any aspect of the Contest are final and binding on all entrants.
- Participation in the Contest constitutes acceptance and agreement to these Contest rules.
- Best Buy reserves the right, at their option, to publish the winner’s name, address, photograph, likeness, voice or statements without any further compensation to the winner.
- The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and local laws and is void where prohibited by law. If any provision of these rules is found by any court of competent jurisdiction to be unenforceable, all other provisions will remain in full force and effect.
- Best Buy may, where required by law, disclose contest entrant information to the government.
- Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of this publicity Contest may be submitted by a resident of the Province of Quebec to the Régie des alcools, des jeux et des courses for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted by a resident of the Province of Quebec to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement